Bangladesh Court Orders Protection for Muslim Girl Who Was Punished for Being Raped

February 4th, 2010 | Categories: Bad News, evil, News, retarded | Tags: , , , , ,

Said before, I’ll say it again, fuck Islam.

Bangladesh’s High Court has ordered authorities in an eastern district to protect and produce in court a 16-year-old girl who was lashed 101 times earlier this month after becoming pregnant as the result of a rape.

The girl, who has not been named, received the punishment on the orders of village elders in the Brahmanbaria district who issued a “fatwa,” or Islamic ruling, declaring that she be flogged for immoral behavior. The elders pardoned the 20 year-old rapist.

The incident occurred five months after the country’s highest court issued a ruling ordering authorities to investigate incidents of extra-judicial punishments and take action against those responsible.

The August ruling came after a rash of earlier floggings of women, including one who spoke to a man from a different community, another who filed a rape complaint, and a third who refused sexual advances made by a relative. In each case locally-issued fatwas ordered punishment of 101 lashes.

In the latest case, Bangladesh’s Daily Star reported that the assailant, who used to taunt the 16-year-old on her way to school, raped her last April. She kept it quiet and her family subsequently married her off to a man in a neighboring village.

But when medical tests shortly after the marriage showed her to be months into her pregnancy, he divorced her. After an abortion she returned to her family home, but village elders then declared the family should be isolated until she was punished.

On January 17, on the basis of the fatwa, she was flogged in the yard of her home. The report said she collapsed and fainted during the assault. The paper named eight men involved, including two mosque imams and the village head elder, Delwar Hossain.

The girl’s father was also fined 1,000 taka (about $15) and another fatwa was issued saying the family would be ostracized if he failed to pay it. The father said the elders’ group was keeping a close watch on the family to ensure they would not take legal action.

After human rights activists visited and the incident was reported this week, a lawyer filed a petition at the High Court in Dhaka, the capital.

The court has directed Brahmanbaria authorities and police to protect the girl and produce her in court on February 7. It also ordered the government to explain why it should not take legal action against those involved in the flogging.

Earlier, the head of police in the district told the Daily Star that police would investigate if the victim filed a complaint.

In an editorial, the newspaper said the police response was incomprehensible, given last August’s court order.

“The incident is shocking not only for the gruesome brutality meted out to the 16 year-old girl, but also because of the attitude of the law enforcing agency who did not act promptly enough to prevent the whipping or take cognizance of the incident later,” it said.

The paper called on the government to “take steps to stop the parallel system of justice that misuse the name of religion.”

1. kinda atheist
    February 12th, 2010 at 00:09
    Reply | Quote | #1

okay now i think that this was a tragedy that happened to this girl but is it really necessary to say “fuck islam”? i mean really it isnt ALL BAD i mean i am a bangladeshi muslim, and even though i am feeling a bit atheist lately, i still feel that i am muslim and i think that just because in this case these muslims were behaving badly but NOT ALL OF ISLAM IS BAD and not all muslims are bad. i couldnt help but feel a bit offended

• February 12th, 2010 at 00:11
      Reply | Quote | #2

Until Islam gets rid of all that bad parts, I’m going to keep disliking it.

When your religion drives you to do something terrible, like whipping a rape victim.. there’s something very wrong with your religion.

• kinda atheist
        February 12th, 2010 at 00:17
        Reply | Quote | #3

well honestly that is only for the very religious, also the culture plays a big part in all of this. Now i only believe in the good parts of islam and i consider myself a muslim i really am hurt that people are so closed minded in this day and age. dont dislike all of islam, just those who take it to an extreme

• February 12th, 2010 at 07:48
          Reply | Quote | #4

Religious people are the close minded ones, ‘faith’ requires is.

• kinda atheist
            February 12th, 2010 at 13:23
            Quote | #5

well that is exactly my point, you all are bashing those who are very religious and close minded when in fact you all seem to be acting the same way

2. Deep
    February 12th, 2010 at 19:09
    Reply | Quote | #6

Hey “kinda atheist”. GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!! A girl who was RAPED was FLOGGED for it! The rapist was not punished. Anyone who can defend these people are just as bad. Go get raped and beaten you mother fucker.

• kinda atheist
      February 13th, 2010 at 01:20
      Reply | Quote | #7

im not defending them. im just saying that we should be hateful towards those people, not all muslims

• February 13th, 2010 at 01:21
        Reply | Quote | #8

I don’t hate all Muslims, but I do dislike all religions.

• kinda atheist
      February 13th, 2010 at 01:44
      Reply | Quote | #9

Again i just want to make sure you understand that i think these people are the scum of the earth for letting this happen. i honestly cant believe that this poor girl had to go through all of that and that no one but the victim was punished.
      In conclusion, Deep, i dont think that all religions should be hated just because people go way too far. And was the language really necessary?

• Deep
        February 14th, 2010 at 10:58

Dear Kinda Atheist,

Thank you for your lovely response. I’d like to say yes, I do believe the language was necessary, but that would just be my opinion wouldn’t it. When I read about things like this happening it makes me extremely angry. It’s pointless anger I know. My dream of people not raping and beating other people because they interpret a book a certain way will never come to fruition. I might as well convert. How do I join? Do they allow deep sea shark fishing? I really do enjoy shark fishing. Maybe I’m just feeling kinda atheist right now. They should really come up with a name for that… In conclusion, Kinda Atheist, go ahead and get raped and beaten.

Love,
        Santa “Mohamed” Claus

• kinda atheist
          February 14th, 2010 at 19:57

why are you being so mean to me? i never wished ill fortune to anyone, i just wanted people to stop the hate, athiest and non athiest alike. and im not sure whether i am muslim or athiest now. i am on the side of evolution and such but i find it comforting sometimes, to think that someone cares enough to watch over me. I agree with all the evidence and sometimes classify myself and completely athiest but i also like thinking that there is a god. So please stop being mean, i really didnt mean to offend anyone and didnt mean for you to interpret what i said like that.

• Deep
            February 15th, 2010 at 07:01

Dear Kinda Atheist,

I’m sorry that you feel that way. I must have come down with the holy spirit or something. Your totally right. I wish I was more like you. Have you ever been deep sea fishing before? I find that to be extremely rewarding. Let me tell you a story. When I was 14, I was given the task of drowning kittens by my girlfriend’s mother. I filled the large laundry sink with room temperature water and held the eight kittens under. The strange thing is that as each one died and floated to the bottom, it turned and rested ‘snuggled’ to the previous. I put them in a garbage bag and was carrying it out when the bag moved and I heard a meow. I opened the bag and found one kitten had survived so I drowned it again. But I digress. I think we were talking about fishing or something. Would you like a pie chart?

Best regards,
            Your new deep sea fishing Muslim friend

3. Hal
    March 20th, 2010 at 22:30

That’s pretty weak, Deep. You think you’re being witty when in fact your “digression” is stolen directly from David Thorne.
    Also, the aggression you show in your posts makes you come across as an imbecile.

Kinda Atheist was being perfectly civilised and trying to invite an opportunity for debate but you were quick to focus your hatred of islam on her/him.

I would imagine many religious folk visit this website out of curiosity.
    Wouldn’t it be more productive to show them the path of reason through a more civilised manner?

All I see here is unnecessary aggression that lowers the tone and makes the topic less interesting and less worthy of discussion.