So, I just heard this song When You Believe, and I gotta say, if you actually pay attention to the lyrics.. they’re quite laughable. Like, who writes this crap?
Many nights we prayed
With no proof anyone could hear *(1)
In our hearts a hope for a song
We barely understood *(2)
Now we are not afraid
Although we know there’s much to fear *(3)
We were moving mountains
Long before we knew we could *(4)
There can be miracles
When you believe *(5)
Though hope is frail
It’s hard to kill *(6)
Who knows what miracles
You can achieve *(7)
When you believe somehow you will
You will when you believe *(8)
In this time of fear
When prayer so often proves in vain *(9)
Hope seems like the summer bird
Too swiftly flown away *(10)
Yet now I’m standing here
My heart’s so full, I can’t explain *(11)
Seeking faith and speakin’ words
I never thought I’d say *(12)
Now, lets take a look what this song:
- “Many nights we prayed – With no proof anyone could hear“, this is what you call taking to yourself. Someone does hear it, you do (and, possibly the person in the next room, depending on how loud you pray).
- “In our hearts a hope for a song – We barely understood“, I’m not completely sure what they’re trying to say here; you’re singing a song that you don’t understand(?), and this is something to take active pride in? This seems to be a point of pride amongst religious people – pride in their ignorance. Religious people take pride in their ‘Faith‘ and their ability to ‘Believe‘. Faith relies on believing something without evidence or proof, instead they believe in something based on wishes. ‘If I wish reeeeeaallly hard, it just might come true!!‘. This childish mentality is something I would hope most people grow out of once they reach the age of 10, but, religion tends to promote this form of thinking for some strange reason, so we’re stuck with a very large population of wishful thinkers. This mentality leads to people doing very foolish things, such as praying for someone to be healed, instead of taking them to a hospital, or taking very silly risks because they think some god is watching over them at all times. I wonder if they ever sit at the dinner table and pray for some food.. or if they just go and make some..
- “Now we are not afraid – Although we know there’s much to fear“, It’s good that you don’t fear death, since ultimately we all die (no exceptions). That said, if you lack fear because you think you’ve got a god watching your back, you are in for a surprise. Also, if you think you’re going to a place called heaven (as opposed to hell) after.. well, I’d say you’re in for a surprise, but you wont be, because when you’re dead, you can’t feel things like shock, or surprise.. since you’re dead.
- “There can be miracles – When you believe“, this line right here is what made me stop and say, “what the fuck?!”. See, there’s a big problem with people who sit around and wish for things… … things don’t happen by themselves. They never do. Ever. If you want something done, you go out and do it. So many things in the world today get classified as a miracle, when it’s nothing even remotely close to a miracle! When a surgeon can work for 8 hours to save a dying baby, and the baby pulls through, THAT’S NOT A FUCKING MIRACLE! It’s a professional who spent years studying his ass off, using scientific techniques that took centuries to develop, being applied, saving a life.
- “There can be miracles – When you believe“, no there can’t. Like I said above, if you want something to happen, go out and do it. Hoping and praying wont do shit.
- “Though hope is frail – It’s hard to kill“, if you say so.
- “Who knows what miracles – You can achieve“, woah, what? Achieving miracles? You can ACHIEVE a miracle? Buddy, an achievement is something you get when you’ve actually gone out and done something (you know, like working hard at something). Praying is nothing. Praying is being still, remaining silence and in every possible way, it is absolutely nothing. You cannot achieve anything through prayer other than your own self aggrandization by making yourself think that you’re in direct communication with the creator of the universe, believing that he/she/it is even remotely interested in your insignificant life.
- “When you believe somehow you will – You will when you believe“, hey, a sudden change in tone, now they’re talking about believing in yourself and doing something? Now we’re talking.
- “In this time of fear – When prayer so often proves in vain“, so stop fucking praying and go out and do something.
- “Hope seems like the summer bird – Too swiftly flown away“, alright then..
- “Yet now I’m standing here – My heart’s so full, I can’t explain“, you just aren’t religious enough then, any real religion person would instantly jump at the opportunety to accredit god(s) with that feeling, and never utter his/her/it/their name(s) when things aren’t going your way.
- “Seeking faith and speaking words – I never thought I’d say“, really? Like what? This? or.. maybe like this?
Golly, what a great song.. chocohollomo poco doga me pingo!